recipe by: Laura Mierzwa, Registered Holistic Nutritionist and Culinary Nutrition Expert
For National Doughnut Day, I wanted to create a recipe that would allow you to indulge fully but without all the frying. Did you know that the typical donut that you'd buy at a coffee shop can have as little as 38% of your daily recommended intake of fat? And the majority of that comes from saturated fats, aka the bad ones. These Raw Chocolate Macaroon Donut Holes are a tasty treat that don't rely on frying or saturated fats for their flavour! They're a sweet combination of coconut macaroons and date balls.
Here's to #NationalDonutDay!
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup cashews
10 dates (soaked for 4 hours)
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp cacao powder
¼ tsp cinnamon
Sprinkle of Himalayan salt
- Add cashews to food processor and process until coarsely chopped.
- Add coconut, dates, coconut oil, cacao, cinnamon and salt to food processor. Process again until you reach a smooth texture.
- Roll into ½ inch “donut holes”.
Optional (but highly recommended!)
- In a bowl, mix together 3 tbsp coconut sugar and 1 tbsp cacao powder.
- Roll each ball into the mixture for the perfect finishing touch!
Use this image to Pin the recipe to your Pinterest board:
Tried it and loved it? Let us know in the comments below!
Follow us to stay in the loop: