Recipe by Kate Orlando, R.H.N & Sports Nutrition Expert
Back to school meal prep doesn’t have to stressful if you plan ahead and make nutritious snack that your kids will love. These homemade, nut-free granola bars are a great healthy snack for school lunches. Apricots are full of fibre, beta-carotene and antioxidants. Make a batch on the weekend for healthy snacks for the week.
- 1 ¾ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- ½ cup dried organic apricots (sulphite free), chopped
- ⅓ cup dates, soaked and drained
- ½ ripe banana
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- Use parchment paper to line the bottom of an 8x8” pan
- In a food processor, combine dates, banana, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, sea salt and purée until smooth.
- Add in the oats, coconut flakes and dried apricots and mix until combined.
- Use your hands to press the mixture together (if the mixture is too moist add some more oats) and press into the pan.
- Place the pan in the fridge for 3-4 hours, then cut to desired portions and wrap individually.
- Keep in the fridge for up to one week.