By Lauren Duffell, Registered Holistic Nutritionist
With the cold winter nights ahead, and World Vegan Day earlier this week, we thought we would share a delicious vegan dish concocted by our very own NutriChem Health Team member, Lauren Duffell!
• 1 cup dry brown rice
• 1/4 cup coconut oil
• 1/3 cup of flour of choice (I like using rice flour)
• 1 Heaping Tbsp Tahini
• 1 onion chopped
• 2 cloves garlic minced
• 1 red bell pepper chopped
• 2 medium tomato
• 1 packed cup of leafy greens (I used kale)
• 1 medium butternut squash chopped into 1-inch pieces
• 3 cups vegetable broth
• 1 package Tempeh, sliced into 1-inch pieces (I used
• 3 Tbsp paprika
• 1 Tbsp dried oregano
• 1 Tsp dried thyme
• 1/3 Tsp cayenne
• 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley for garnish
• salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare rice: combine with 1 1/2 cups water in a medium-sized pot and
bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until rice is tender and
water is absorbed, about 40 minutes.
2. While rice is cooking... Melt oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add flour
and tahini, mix to form a roux, let cook about five minutes stirring often.
3. Add chopped onion, garlic let those cook for 5 mins while you chop the
squash, pepper, and tomato. Add them all into pot as you chop them.
4. Stir in broth, tempeh, seasonings (paprika, oregano, thyme, cayenne) and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
5. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes or until the squash is soft.
Spoon stew into separate serving bowls on top of rice. Garnish with fresh
6. Makes 6 servings