By Lauren Duffell, RHN
As someone who is not able to eat regular desserts (they make me very sick!), I often offer to bring the dessert to family events so that I know that I can eat it too!
This is one of the recipes that I love. It makes a super moist cake and it’s packed with nutritious ingredients… Ssshhh! Don’t tell! This beauty is gluten free, dairy free, white sugar free.... but amazingly moist and delicious!
What You'll Need:
- 2 cups of rice flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 heaping tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp powdered ginger
- Pinch of sea salt
- Mix all dry together in a bowl.
Veggies and fruit:
- 1.5 cups of grated carrot
- 1.5 cups of grated sweet potato
- 1/2 cup of pineapple diced small
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup maple syrup
- Mix all dry together in a bowl
- Set oven to 350F. Grease a 9' round cake pan (I used a spring form).
- Beat wet ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Slowly mix in dry ingredients.
- Mix in fruit and veggies.
- Bake at 350F for 40-45 mins. Let cake cool completely before opening spring form and icing.
(I made a cashew cream cheese icing)
- 2 cups of soaked (at least 4 hrs) and rinsed raw cashews
- 4 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon
- The coconut cream from a can of coconut (chill in the fridge so the cream separates easily)... it's about a half cup
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- Put all icing ingredients in a high powered blender until super smooth. Chill icing in the fridge a bit to firm it up.
Don't forget to be creative with your decor!