Happy Celiac Disease Awareness Day! Celiac Disease is a disorder in which the body has an immune reaction to gluten, contributing to digestive distress including but not limited to pain, gas, bloating, inflammation and damage to the intestine. Fortunately, many celiac live healthy lives by being careful to completely avoid gluten contamination.
To bring awareness to this important day, we are featuring this delicious and healthy gluten free carrot cake cookie recipe! Please note, when purchasing oats, be sure that they are certified as gluten free which means that they are processed in a facility that does not process any gluten containing grains.
- 2 ½ cups one to one gluten free flour
- 1 ½ tsp. aluminum free baking powder
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup carrot puree
- 3 cups gluten free oats
- Optional: a handful of walnuts and / or raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients, mixing well before setting aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine melted coconut oil, coconut sugar and maple syrup.
- Use an electric mixer to combine until wet ingredients have become fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla and continue to mix.
- Begin incorporating dry ingredients, continuing to mix on low speed.
- Once the mixture is incorporated, add in the carrot puree and mix until just incorporated.
- Add in optional ingredients
- Scoop batter onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, shaping and flattening them out slightly.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Yields 24 – 36 cookies depending on the size you make them. Adjust baking time depending on the size of your cookies.
Written by Julia Davie, NutriChem Registered Holistic Nutritionist and Doula
Julia is a graduate of the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition. Julia’s services emphasize the importance of whole, live and natural foods. Striving to make healthy eating accessible and enjoyable, she believes that food can be both nutritious and delicious! As a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, she understands the unique needs of each client and works with them to develop and implement a healthy eating plan individualized to their needs.
Julia strives to empower her clients through education, inspire them to make better food choices, and live healthier and more vibrant lives.
Julia’s special interests include digestive support, weight loss, skin health, blood sugar support, fertility nutrition, prenatal, postnatal and pediatric nutrition.
Call: 613-820-4200 to book an appointment with Julia.