Written by: Laura Mierzwa, Registered Holistic Nutritionist & Culinary Nutrition Expert
Greens are often overlooked while we’re deep into the winter months. When the seasons change, our salad combinations should too! When making a winter salad, always include some type of cooked veggies and a warming spice. Greens are cooling, while things like sweet potato, ginger and cinnamon are more warming. Give this Holiday Harvest Salad a try for your next festive get together!
- 1 head purple kale washed well
- 6 cups spinach
- 2 medium sweet potatoes cubed
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup chopped, toasted almonds
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sprinkle of sea salt
Directions for the sweet potato:
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Add cubed sweet potatoes to a parchment paper lined pan.
- Drizzle sweet potato with avocado oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 40 minutes, stirring halfway though.
- Let the sweet potatoes cool in the fridge.
Directions for the almonds:
- Heat a small pan over medium heat.
- Chop almonds roughly.
- Add almonds to the dry pan and toast lightly for about 5 minutes.
Directions for the kale:
- While sweet potatoes are baking, wash and dry kale.
- Tear the kale into small bite sized pieces and drizzle with olive oil.
- Massage the kale well for a couple minutes – do NOT skip this step!
- Add all ingredients with dressing to a large bowl and toss well.
Spiced Apple Dressing
- ½ a green apple shredded
- ½ a lemon juiced
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp ginger powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
Written by Laura Mierzwa, NutriChem Registered Holistic Nutritionist and Culinary Nutrition Expert
Laura is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist and Culinary Nutrition Expert. Holistic nutrition is a combination of modern science and time-tested wisdom based on the philosophy that each person has unique nutritional requirements. Laura specializes in working with clients who have digestive issues, food intolerances and autoimmune conditions. If you’re unsure of where to start, she will guide you in the right direction to improve your health at your own comfortable pace. She will suit your individual needs through customized nutrition protocols and meal planning.
Laura recognizes the importance of ongoing education as the health industry is forever evolving. Through whole foods, lifestyle improvements and proper supplementation Laura will support you to bring your health back to balance. As a Culinary Nutrition Expert, she is passionate about being in the kitchen creating delicious recipes with ingredients that support optimal health.
Call: 613-820-4200 to book an appointment with Laura