With chilly days ahead, there is no better way to warm up than with a big bowl of soup! Soup is one of my staples from September to May because it’s so versatile, you can pack it with nutrients and it’s delicious. One of my favourite things about making an extra big batch of soup is the leftovers. Often I freeze half of what I make so when a busy week whips around I have something healthy on hand. When it comes to soup leftovers many people think of lunches and dinners, but I love having it first thing in the morning for breakfast. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Instant Pot Lentil Coconut Soup
By: Laura Mierzwa, Registered Holistic Nutritionist and Culinary Nutrition Expert
- 1 can BPA free organic diced tomatoes
- 1 can BPA free organic coconut milk
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes diced
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1 red pepper diced
- 2 cups spinach packed
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 heaping tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4 - 6 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 tsp ginger grated (or 1/2 tsp powder)
- Optional: crushed cashews and chopped cilantro
- Set your Instant Pot to sauté on low heat.
- Melt the coconut oil and add onion, garlic and grated ginger.
- Next add the diced tomatoes, sweet potato, celery, carrot, red pepper and spices and saute for another 5 - 6 minutes.
- Add the water, coconut milk and red lentils.
- Set the instant pot to high pressure and set the timer for 15 minutes.
- When the timer is done, release the pressure manually.
- Stir in the spinach, serve into bowls and top with cashews and cilantro!