recipe by: Laura Mierzwa, Registered Holistic Nutritionist and Culinary Nutrition Expert
This Valentine's Day, why not make your sweetie (or your kids!) a treat that won't spike their blood sugar levels? This yummy cake is gluten-free, dairy-free, contains no added sugar, and is super delicious.
Yield: Makes two cakes or one double layer cake!
To make the cake:
1 cup brown rice flour
½ cup buckwheat flour
½ cup arrowroot starch
1 cup almond or coconut milk
1 cup coconut oil (melted)
¾ cup coconut sugar
½ cup cacao powder
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp Himalayan salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl mix together flours, cacao powder, baking soda and Himalayan salt.
- In a separate bowl combine coconut oil, eggs, coconut sugar, maple syrup and almond milk.
- In a mixer or with a hand mixer slowly add the wet to the dry ingredients.
- Pour batter into two 9 inch lightly oiled (with coconut oil) pans.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until fully cooked.
- Let cool before icing.
To make the icing:
1 can coconut milk (solid part only, place can in fridge to separate solid/liquid)
2 tbsp coconut oil
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ cup cooked beet
1 tsp vanilla
optional: shredded coconut, fresh berries
- In a food processor or high-speed blender mix together all ingredients until smooth and creamy!
- Frost cake as desired.
- Optional: Sprinkle with shredded coconut and/or fresh berries.
Use this image to Pin this recipe: