We all need treats sometimes, and with the weather getting warmer many of us are looking for ice cream!
I LOVE ice cream on a hot day but so many of the store bought ones are so extremely artificial that I would not even consider eating them. Also, dairy and my stomach are not best friends so I am always playing with dairy alternative ingredients in the kitchen. This recipe is perfect for vegans and lactose free people.
I’ve been playing with making ice cream in my blender at home. Here is the recipe I came up with this week for a simple vanilla. It contains some fat and no added sugar to help avoid spiking your blood sugar. Yay! Healthy ice cream!
Vanilla Ice Dream Recipe for 2 servings
- 1 ice cube tray
- 1 ziplock bag
- 1 high powered blender (Vitamix or Blendtech)
- 1 Ripe banana (not over ripe)
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk (I prefer the Thai brand because there is no water added)
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of sea salt
Prep the day before:
- Peel and chop the banana into chunks, put in freezer bag and freeze overnight
- Shake and open can of coconut cream, pour into the ice cube tray and freeze overnight
Making the Ice Cream:
- Put 4 coconut ice cubes in the blender, open the vanilla bean and scrape all the mini seeds into the blender. Add all other ingredients
- Blend using the ‘plunger’ to push all the icy ingredients into the blades
- It’s ready when it is soft serve texture. You can put it in the freezer for 15-20 mins to firm it up a bit. You can also use the mixture to make creamy popsicles!
- From here you can play with the recipe to make any flavour you like! Try adding cocoa for chocolate, or frozen strawberries!