Recipe by Lauren Duffell, RHN and your watermelon obsessed nutritionist.
If you love watermelon as much as I do, you will find ways to eat it as much as possible!
A few years ago, I visited an organic farm and bought a watermelon. When I cut it open at home, I was so surprised that it was yellow inside! I loved it! It was delicious. I have yet to do a blind taste test to compare yellow with pink watermelon, but the flavour is almost identical.
My mom used to make a watermelon salad with mint, goat cheese, and cucumber. This recipe is a spicy twist on that classic. It goes really well with BBQ anything: tempeh, chicken thighs, pork tenderloin. Hope you are enjoying the summer and all the delicious fresh foods that come with it!!
Ingredients for Salad
- ½ medium sized yellow (or pink) watermelon, diced
- ½ English cucumber, diced
- 1 orange tomato (or red tomato), diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- ¼ cup minced green onion
- ¼ cup minced fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped almonds or cashews
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 1.5 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dice all salad ingredients small so that you can get more than 1 flavour in each bite. If the watermelon has seeds, do your best to get the large ones out.
- Mix together in a large bowl
- Mix the dressing separately, then pour on top. If you like more spice, you can add more chilli powder and cayenne.